There’s something to be said about original art, but fanart is such a great way to stretch my imagination and try something I might not have thought to make otherwise, not to
mention I love making things I’ve seen in game.
Recently I’ve been obsessed with Dragon Age. Between the characters, costumes, and lore there’s no end to what you can draw and make.
Oddly enough, the first thing I wanted to make were the banners that hang up in skyhold. Off I went to the thrift stores to find interesting fabrics and patterns for a decent price while I experimented. The thrift stores didn’t fail me.
Based on what I found I decided to start with the Templar banner. Why so many video games decide to call their groups templars I’ll never know. It makes it hard to google, because you end up with all crusades images.
I decided to take a few creative liberties, with the design based on my supplies, but . . .
(the studio is pretty much on clean up day when I took this picture, so pardon the mess.) You’ll notice I seem to have an inability to work at a reasonable scale. I don’t know why this is. I always do it. Draft 2 will probably be smaller. I’m really quite satisfied with my frogged rope though (and the fact I attached it so close without a zipper foot)
Belive it or not, this is my smaller paper pattern for the design. These paper patterns I then traced onto some curtains that I’d attached heat n’ bond to. I’m still not sure how I want to do the circle yet. I made a paper pattern for it like I did the sword, but I don’t really want to waste that much heat n’ bond just for a narrow circle. There’s a fair bit of research to be done still before I finalize the motif.
Even at this point I’m considering stopping to make it smaller. Who needs a giant Templar banner in their house? So far so good though. I really wanted to quilt the blue, but drawing guide lines on fabric is much harder than paper.
Next, of course the ever easy to do anywhere: drawing.
If you remember from my post a week or two ago, there was a bunch of portraits, but I’ve gotten addicted to these profile views. Noses! all the shapes! Solas was actually supposed to be my warden, but she turned into a bald man. . . . so her–his nose is not quite right. I actually always thought Cassandra and I had very similar noses until I sat down to draw her. She’s very angular, but her nose isn’t that pointy! No one in DA really has a long nose. Especially not my Lavellen here, but I like the DA:II style of elves so it’s really not that common.
I’ve been DYING to smack little letters into pieces of metal for a few months now, so I was so excited to finally sit down with my hammer and realize how hard it is to keep words going straight. I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to do with any of my stamped metal quite yet, but that didn’t stop me from practicing. (i learned the smaller letters are MUCH harder to space and keep straight)
All my rocks money went to metal stamps, so I wasn’t allowed to buy all the quartz I could get my hands on, but I’ll be damned if I don’t get my own little lyrium. (also found a use for one of my metal plates! yay!)
This little guy is RIDDLED with mistakes though, dear goodness. I was reading an article about tinting translucent sculpy with alcohol based ink, but I don’ have any. What did I decide to do though? colour on a piece of glass with copic and dab up the ink with clay. Despite the face you’re making, it worked okay, but since I didn’t have a red refill it was hard to get enough ink into the clay, so I resorted to mixing and trying to marble.
Now, I don’t have a toaster over to bake clay in, so I have to go downstairs, preheat the oven, and heat up the house in AUGUST just for a few minutes of clay cooking. Yeah didn’t sound too appealing to me either. So what did my genius self decide to do? Heat gun it till it’s stiff. That worked except, I didn’t do enough. Ever tried cutting sculpy that’s cured outside but soft and warm inside? it’s messy. No bueno. You’ll notice how it barely resembles a crystal at all on the left side image.
Well, yesterday was also my birthday and I was gifted a copic airbrush. So first thing I did was pop in my red marker and tint the sucker Red Lyrium red. (at this point I implore you to remember it’s only heat gun cured. I’m a crazy woman.)
The little voice inside my head said “stop! cure it all the way before you do anything else!” the little satan on my shoulder kicked the first voice and told me to start gluing stuff on it, and i did.
So while my first draft is cute and stiff on the outside, it’s still squishy inside. Eventually that’ll bite me in the butt.
Tonight’s goal then is to bake the crystals BEFORE cutting and actually make silicone molds that I can use for resin. The resin crystals are so pretty and would look great as jewelry (lore wise this is the worst idea ever, but who cares). If you want to see how the smarter me works with clay and how the resin crystals turn out, watch my FB and IG. Updates usually reach there first.